KMEM-FM

America's Best Country

Current track

Title

Artist


House Fire in Memphis Started by Child’s Toy

Written by on April 22, 2021

MEMPHIS, Mo.- 4/22/21- A plastic toy accidentally dropped into a space heater is believed to be the cause of a fire in a Memphis home late Thursday night.  Scotland County Sheriff Bryan Whitney says that the Memphis Fire Department responded to a call at 8:45 pm for a report of heavy smoke in the lower level of a two-story home at 133 North Adams Street near the Memphis Post Office.

Upon arrival, firemen confirmed that a mother and her six children were already out of the home and were uninjured.  The source of the fire was determined to be a baseboard heater in the living room area.  The power was shut off and a minimal amount of water was used to extinguish the fire.  Crews were on scene for 30 minutes.